Collection of authentic SC BBQ sauces, meats, hash, sides, and desserts
- Old Family Recipes: Great reader-submitted recipes that have been in their families for generations. Read their stories and try their recipes.
- Helpful Pitmaster Tips & Secrets: Recipes and techniques from some of SC’s most respected pitmasters, including John Lewis, Rodney Scott, and Aaron Siegel.
- Great SC BBQ Restaurants: Recipes from the good folks at Bessinger’s, Bullies, Cherrywood, Lewis, Price’s, Rodney Scott’s, Swig and Swine, and others.
- Whole Hog BBQ, Pit Building, and More: SCBBQ history, whole hog bbq principles, cinder block pit building plans, and much more included.
Sample of Recipes
Sauces and Rubs
Dukes-style mustard sauce, Eastern SC vinegar-pepper sauce, Honey Hickory tomato-based sauce, Alabama white sauce, and even brisket Mojo sauce. Just a few of the four dedicated sections of delicious sauce recipes. Plus, we include a full section on rub recipes from the likes of John Lewis, Home Team BBQ and more.
SC BBQ Hash
Yellow hash popular in the Midlands and Lowcountry, Red hash found in places like Sumter, and even beef hash that is common in the Upstate, we have recipes for hash like you will find at great SCBBQ restaurants like Dukes, Ward’s, and Midway.
From whole hog to individual cuts like butts, shoulders, and ribs, we have recipes for it all. Heck, we’ve even thrown in a few chicken recipes. And there’s even beef recipes from brisket to Maurice’s meatloaf!
Sides and Desserts
You’ll find standards like collards, corn, pork rinds, coleslaw, baked beans, and mac and cheese along with classic SC dishes like chicken bog and purlieu, catfish stew, and chicken mull. Sides help make the meal, and we share recipes from Rodney Scott, Swig and Swine, John Lewis, and Price’s, among others. The dessert section is crowded with cobblers, pies, and cakes, but also things like pralines and other surprises.
Quick Look Inside
What Folks are Saying
Below are five randomly chosen notes from book owners who wrote in to tell us what they think of the book. Refresh the page to see five new ones!
Read ALL of the Going Whole Hog testimonials.
All the Recipes!
I really like all the recipes from some of my favorite BBQ restaurants. Since I live several hours away from them, I can cook some of my favorite BBQ and hash and eat it more often. You need to buy this book. It is great. You won’t regret it.
Good Looking Book
Book is full of great stories and recipes. If you like BBQ, then get this book!
Going Whole Hog is Wonderful
Going Whole Hog is so much more than I expected when I ordered three copies (two to be used as gifts):
— The first impression is that it is much larger and a higher quality book than I had anticipated. Both very impressive.
— The second big impression is the breadth of the subject matter. It seems to touch every aspect of a fine South Carolina BBQ presentation and dining experience. Extremely comprehensive.
— Third, and I haven’t had to explore this yet, there are a large number of links to additional related information. It is a resource to the whole subject area.
Jim should be very proud of this beautiful book.
I LOVE THE BOOK
The purchasing process went flawlessly, and I got my link almost immediately. I love the book! Thank you for all your hard work. I look forward to future editions. I am an active member of SCBA, SBN, GBA, KCBS, and the SCA. I judge and marshal many events. I found the book both informative and useful. I plan to try most, if not all the recipes therein.
WOW!! Much more than I Expected!
A masterful collection of everything anyone would want to know about barbeque in South Carolina – History, Insights, Techniques and Recipes! Tons of Recipes! I’m very impressed with the production, the verbiage, the photos and the recipes. You’ll want to try every recipe!
Choose from Several Editions:
- Digital Edition (eBook): PDF download
- Permanent Edition (eBook): PDF download, entitled to all future updates of ebook
- Hardcover (Print): Print edition of the book; published overseas
- Hardcover (American-Printed): Amazon print-on-demand edition, more expensive
Note: We are officially H & J Enterprises of Charleston, LLC, DBA Destination BBQ.
Hardcover First Edition
- Matte cover finish for a premium feel
- Larger dimensions offering a bit more room
- High-quality paper for durability and rich images
- "Lay-flat" binding allows book to remain open on the counter
- Ideal for display and regular kitchen use
Hardcover First Edition (American Printed)
$64.99 (but currently discounted by Amazon)
- Glossy cover for a vibrant appearance
- Slightly smaller in size, making it easy to handle
- On-demand printing ensures a freshly printed copy
- Same comprehensive content as the overseas edition in a more portable form
- Higher price due to U.S. printing costs & Amazon's share
eCookbook - Permanent Edition
- PDF File that Works Online or Offline
- Entitles You to Every Future Edition We Release
- Delivered to You Automatically
- Never Miss Out on New Recipes
- Applies Only to Digital Editions, not Print
eCookbook - Digital Edition
- PDF File that Works Online or Offline
- Easily Searchable
- Works on Virtually All Devices
- Large Images and Visible Type