The smoked chicken wing recipe at Home Team BBQ in Charleston is legendary.
Many people claim their wings are the best item on a menu packed with great dishes. For example, Anthony M.’s review on Yelp makes it clear:
“I agree with Michael B. Though, these are the best wings overall I’ve ever had in my life. From Philly and have had wings all over the country, normally my go-to. These wings are INSANE! Best wings EVER!”
On TripAdvisor, Rob T, who visited the Sullivan’s Island location, wrote the following:
“Home team is a great hang out with a coastal vibe which is great. The food is good as well but the wings are wonderful.
“If you go you have to try the wings, if you’re not a wing person you still have to at least try them. Definitely, don’t want to miss out on the deliciousness.
“I’m telling you, 5 stars!!!!!!! On wings alone.”
There is also a Home Team in Aspen, CO.
Aaron Siegel, chef and co-founder of the popular local chain who we interviewed in this 2017 Conversations Around the Burn Barrel feature, originally shared his popular recipe with starchefs.com.
In our Q&A, Siegel revealed the secret of Home Team’s success:
“I think it’s really important for people to know how much care we put into our food.
“We are really critical of ourselves every day. We are constantly reviewing our processes.
“It is not a dictatorship; in fact, we communicate constantly on different methods. Almost nothing is the same as it was 10 years ago.
“We are a little culinary community which is fun to be a part of in that regard.”
That level of dedication and care really shows in Home Team BBQ’s smoked chicken wing recipe, as it does in many of their dishes.
“They’re unique because they are smoked first, then dry-rubbed and fried—so they aren’t saucy,” Chef Bob Cook said. ‘It makes the perfect wing.”
If you’d like to take your turn at making the perfect wing, here’s your recipe. And don’t forget to make Home Team BBQ’s Alabama White Sauce to go with these amazing wings.
Brined Chicken Wings
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- 1 bunch thyme
- 3 tablespoons red pepper, crushed
- 24 chicken wings, large
- ½ cup chile powder, ground
- 2 tablespoons ginger, ground
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- Red oak, for smoker
- Peanut Oil, to deep fry
For the Brined Chicken Wings:
- In a large pot, bring water to a simmer and turn off the heat.
- Add all ingredients and whisk until dissolved.
- Refrigerate until fully chilled.
- In the refrigerator, submerge chicken wings in brine for 4 hours.
For the Dry Rub:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Stir till combined.
Smoked Chicken Wings:
- Prepare a smoker with red oak and heat to 225°F.
- Remove Brined Chicken Wings from liquid and pat dry.
- Add chicken wings to a large mixing bowl and evenly distribute all but 4 tablespoons of Dry Rub.
- Smoke chicken for 2 hours and 30 minutes in a hotel pan over red oak.
- During the smoke, all the fat renders from the wings, confiting the meat in a bubbling pan of sweet-spicy-smoky schmaltz and rendering the wings “fall-off-the-bone tender.”
- In a deep fryer, heat peanut oil to 350°F.
- Fry the smoked chicken wings for 4 to 6 minutes, until crispy and just caramelized.
- Remove from fryer, shake off excess oil, and rest 30 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together wings and reserved Dry Rub.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 6 wings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 913Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 32218mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 4gSugar: 55gProtein: 31g
Check out these other authentic SCBBQ recipes we’ve published on destination-bbq:
- Building a Cinder Block Pit
- Cooking a Whole Hog
- Pawleys Island Pulled Pork Recipe
- Swig & Swine’s Smoked Ham Recipe
- Jimmy Hagood’s Sweet & Spicy Smoked Pork Recipe
- Hagood’s Barbecue Pork Shoulder
- Jimmy Hagood’s Slow-Cooked Dry Ribs
- Aaron Siegel’s Firefly Sweet Tea Bourbon-Glazed Pork Ribs Recipe
- Home Team BBQ’s Smoked Chicken Wing Recipe
- Tiger O’Rourke’s Bacon Maple Bourbon Chicken Wings Recipe
- Billy Quinn’s Fruity Beer Can Chicken Recipe