South Carolina — arguably the birthplace of barbecue — is home to four native barbecue sauces: a heavy tomato, a light tomato, a vinegar-pepper, and a mustard-based sauce.
Recently, however, an interloper has crossed the border, and we find ourselves with a fifth sauce: the Alabama White Sauce.
Alabama White is, obviously, a mayonnaise-based sauce that reminds many of a simple coleslaw dressing; however, there is no question that Home Team’s Alabama White is popular on things other than cabbage, especially with their Smoked Chicken Wings.
If you’re making the wings, you have to make the sauce, and it won’t take long.
We have both the wing and sauce recipe along with over 150 pages more of authentic SCBBQ recipes in our cookbook: SCBBQ Recipes: Going Whole Hog.
Home Team BBQ currently has three locations in Charleston — Sullivan’s Island, Downtown, and West Ashley — with other locations opening in Greenville and Columbia. There is also a Home Team in Aspen, CO.
Here is the recipe for Home Team’s Alabama White BBQ Sauce:
- 2 cups Duke's mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Chill until ready to use.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1.5 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Check out some of these other authentic SCBBQ sauce recipes we’ve published on destination-bbq:
Sauces and Rubs:
- Jay Phillips’ Whole Hog Sauce Recipe
- Dad’s Mop Sauce Recipe
- Eastern SC Vinegar-Pepper Sauce Recipe
- Moore Family’s Little Fisher Hog Sauce Recipe
- Lowcountry Vinegar Sauce Recipe
- Swig & Swine’s Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ-Style Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ Sauce – “Actual Recipe”
- Simple South Carolina Mustard Sauce Recipe
- Bessinger’s-Style Gold Sauce Recipe
- John Padgett’s Kansas City BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Honey-Hickory Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Bullies BBQs Thin Basting Sauce Recipe
- Cherrywood Signature BBQ Sauce Recipe
- “Carolina Red” Light Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Basic Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Home Team BBQ Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Moe’s Original BBQ’s Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Brisket Mojo Sauce Recipe
- Roller Family Hot Sauce Recipe
- Salsa Verde with Avocado for Pulled Pork Recipe