This is our family’s go-to mustard-based BBQ sauce recipe.
We give it (and our rub) as gifts to friends and family around the holidays.
And it is a staple at our annual pig pickin’ every Christmas Eve.
Even people who profess to hate mustard BBQ sauces seem to love this one.
We think you will, too. Enjoy South Carolina’s Best Mustard-Based BBQ Sauce Recipe:
- 1 cup prepared yellow mustard, French's
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, hickory flavoring
- Mix together all the ingredients except the butter, soy sauce, and liquid smoke in a large saucepan.
- Simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may be very strong until completely cooled.
- Refrigerating overnight is best and allows flavors to blend.
- Add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce at the end if additional heat is desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
If you enjoyed our family recipe, check out these other authentic SCBBQ recipes we’ve published on destination-bbq:
And we’ve published the following sauce recipes in the SCBBQ Recipes: Going Whole Hog cookbook
You can read more about that here.
Sauces and Rubs:
- Jay Phillips’ Whole Hog Sauce Recipe
- Dad’s Mop Sauce Recipe
- Eastern SC Vinegar-Pepper Sauce Recipe
- Moore Family’s Little Fisher Hog Sauce Recipe
- Lowcountry Vinegar Sauce Recipe
- Swig & Swine’s Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ-Style Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ Sauce – “Actual Recipe”
- Simple South Carolina Mustard Sauce Recipe
- Bessinger’s-Style Gold Sauce Recipe
- John Padgett’s Kansas City BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Honey-Hickory Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Bullies BBQs Thin Basting Sauce Recipe
- Cherrywood Signature BBQ Sauce Recipe
- “Carolina Red” Light Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Basic Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Home Team BBQ Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Moe’s Original BBQ’s Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Brisket Mojo Sauce Recipe
- Roller Family Hot Sauce Recipe
- Salsa Verde with Avocado for Pulled Pork Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Basic Dry Rub Recipe
- JB’s Smokeshack-Style Spicy Dry Rub Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Texas Rub Recipe
- BlackJack Barbecue Dry Rub Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Sweet Rib Rub Recipe
- Home Team BBQ Dry Rub Recipe for Chicken Wings Recipe
- John Lewis BBQ-Style Brisket Dry Rub Recipe