If you learn to make one BBQ sauce, learn to make this one. Jay Phillips’ “Hog Sauce” is what we lovingly refer to as a “Master Sauce.”
What is a master sauce?
In most of the world, a master sauce is associated with Chinese cooking. The soy-sauce based braising liquid is widely referred to as a master sauce. Jay’s sauce is no Chinese master sauce, but it is masterful.
Jay’s Hog Sauce is a classic Eastern South Carolina vinegar-pepper barbecue sauce that stands on its own.
But the sauce is versatile enough to modify into a tomato-based BBQ sauce or even a mustard-based BBQ sauce with minor additions.
(See the notes Jay provides in the recipe.)
This versatility lends itself to the idea of Jay’s sauce as being a master sauce. Because it forms the basis of other, seemingly different sauces.
Heck, Jay even uses it to make red gravy, common in homes across the Pee Dee region of South Carolina.
Enjoy Jay Phillips’ Whole Hog Sauce recipe:
- 1 gal. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup black pepper, coarse ground
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper, finely ground
- 1/4 cup Lowry's seasoning salt
- Mix well.
- The longer it sits, the better it gets. It is good after a day but better after a month.
This sauce has been a work in progress for many years. There have been more ingredients and fewer. I have settled on what it is now, and it seems to work for me. This is my whole hog sauce and the base for a few more that I make. For a catsup-based sauce, just add catsup. For mustard, add mustard and brown sugar. It also makes a good red gravy if you add catsup and butter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 192 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 5Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out these other authentic SCBBQ recipes we’ve published on destination-bbq:
And we’ve published the following sauce recipes in the SCBBQ Recipes: Going Whole Hog cookbook
You can read more about that here.
Sauces and Rubs:
- Jay Phillips’ Whole Hog Sauce Recipe
- Dad’s Mop Sauce Recipe
- Eastern SC Vinegar-Pepper Sauce Recipe
- Moore Family’s Little Fisher Hog Sauce Recipe
- Lowcountry Vinegar Sauce Recipe
- Swig & Swine’s Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ-Style Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ Sauce – “Actual Recipe”
- Simple South Carolina Mustard Sauce Recipe
- Bessinger’s-Style Gold Sauce Recipe
- John Padgett’s Kansas City BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Honey-Hickory Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Bullies BBQs Thin Basting Sauce Recipe
- Cherrywood Signature BBQ Sauce Recipe
- “Carolina Red” Light Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Basic Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Home Team BBQ Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Moe’s Original BBQ’s Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Brisket Mojo Sauce Recipe
- Roller Family Hot Sauce Recipe
- Salsa Verde with Avocado for Pulled Pork Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Basic Dry Rub Recipe
- JB’s Smokeshack-Style Spicy Dry Rub Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Texas Rub Recipe
- BlackJack Barbecue Dry Rub Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Sweet Rib Rub Recipe
- Home Team BBQ Dry Rub Recipe for Chicken Wings Recipe
- John Lewis BBQ-Style Brisket Dry Rub Recipe