If you learn to make one BBQ sauce, learn to make this one.
Jay Phillips’ “Hog Sauce” is what we lovingly refer to as a “Master Sauce.”
What is A Master Sauce?
In most of the world, a master sauce is associated with Chinese cooking. The soy-sauce based braising liquid is widely referred to as a master sauce. Jay’s sauce is no Chinese master sauce.
Jay’s Hog Sauce is a classic Eastern South Carolina vinegar-pepper barbecue sauce that stands on its own. But the sauce is versatile enough to modify into a tomato-based BBQ sauce or even a mustard-based BBQ sauce with minor additions. (See the notes Jay provides in the recipe.)
This versatility lends itself to the idea of Jay’s sauce as being a master sauce. Because it forms the basis of other, seemingly different sauces — heck, Jay even uses it to make red gravy, common in homes across the South.
Enjoy Jay Phillips’ Whole Hog Sauce recipe:
- 1 gal. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup black pepper, coarse ground
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper, finely ground
- 1/4 cup Lowry's seasoning salt
- Mix well.
- The longer it sits, the better it gets. It is good after a day but better after a month.
This sauce has been a work in progress for many years. There have been more ingredients and fewer. I have settled on what it is now, and it seems to work for me. This is my whole hog sauce and the base for a few more that I make. For a catsup-based sauce, just add catsup. For mustard, add mustard and brown sugar. It also makes a good red gravy if you add catsup and butter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 192 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 5Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out these other authentic SCBBQ recipes we’ve published on destination-bbq:
And we’ve published the following sauce recipes in the SCBBQ Recipes: Going Whole Hog cookbook
You can read more about that here.
Sauces and Rubs:
- Jay Phillips’ Whole Hog Sauce Recipe
- Dad’s Mop Sauce Recipe
- Eastern SC Vinegar-Pepper Sauce Recipe
- Moore Family’s Little Fisher Hog Sauce Recipe
- Lowcountry Vinegar Sauce Recipe
- Swig & Swine’s Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ-Style Sauce Recipe
- Dukes BBQ Sauce – “Actual Recipe”
- Simple South Carolina Mustard Sauce Recipe
- Bessinger’s-Style Gold Sauce Recipe
- John Padgett’s Kansas City BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Honey-Hickory Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Bullies BBQs Thin Basting Sauce Recipe
- Cherrywood Signature BBQ Sauce Recipe
- “Carolina Red” Light Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Basic Tomato Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- Home Team BBQ Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Moe’s Original BBQ’s Alabama White Sauce Recipe
- Brisket Mojo Sauce Recipe
- Roller Family Hot Sauce Recipe
- Salsa Verde with Avocado for Pulled Pork Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Basic Dry Rub Recipe
- JB’s Smokeshack-Style Spicy Dry Rub Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Texas Rub Recipe
- BlackJack Barbecue Dry Rub Recipe
- Sticky Fingers’ Sweet Rib Rub Recipe
- Home Team BBQ Dry Rub Recipe for Chicken Wings Recipe
- John Lewis BBQ-Style Brisket Dry Rub Recipe